Monday 24 June 2019

Statement of Aims



I have chosen to pick brief 1- television, because I have an extended knowledge of television instead of music. As part of our brief we had create an opening sequence of a television programme lasting for roughly 2:30-3 mins. In addition, we have created a front and back cover of the television’s DVD boxset, consisting of 3 pages.  

I have decided that my television series will be a Crime-Drama, based upon on the suspect. I have styled the plot of the television show to fit the remit of 30-49-year olds unisex explorer audience.  The crime drama will be about a teenage boy called Jamie who is being Physically beaten up by Mitchell. Jamie then loses control and accidently pushes Mitchell, Mitchell will then fall down the stairs, and the crime is committed. It will be called ‘the suspect who was the victim’

I will be also adapting the television show to fit the remit of the popular channel, ‘Channel 4’ which is to provide distinctive, diverse and innovative programmes. Channel 4 normally host programmes that are usually aimed at teenage adults, but can suit explore adults who want to try something different. I will be using the independent production company ‘Red Productions, as they our famous for producing quality dramas like ‘years and years’ and ‘Trust Me’  I will be using teenage actors to fit the storyline of the show, due to the fact it is set in a College. The Opening sequence will appeal to an adult audience because it will deal with real life dramatic scenarios. The opening sequence will allow the audience to emotionally connect with the main character because he is going through an upsetting and life changing event that wasn’t his fault. 

I plan to film my television programme in the college stairway and the school field. The opening scene of the sequence will be a handheld shot of Jamie running away from Mitchell, the camera will be shacked and there will be a close up of Jamie’s face, to highlight how scared he is, there will also be diegetic sound of heavy breathing to again indicate how scared Jamie is. Next, I plan to have a long establishing shot of to show Jamie has nowhere else left to run, this will be shot in the college stairway, with non-diegetic sounds of a heartbeat and dramatic music to add tension. There will be a range of close ups and extreme close ups of objects that have a huge relevance to the story. There will be a close up of Jamie’s bag, which Mitchell will fall over, in addition there will be a close up of Mitchell’s fists hitting Jamie and of Jamie’s face, to highlight the physical and emotional impact it is having on Jamie.  To finish the scene there will finale Ariel shot of the dead body with suspenseful music in the background, to create dramatic tension. I will also try and add a dolly shot, to introduce a new character and a zoom out shot to close the sequence. 

I will be using fast pace editing to fit in with the tempo of the action sequence. I will have to try and film my sequence in the same month to avoid continuity errors, for example there could be changes to the weather or set design. 

I plan to include three characters of different social backgrounds, I plan to have two teenagers similar age, but of different social backgrounds, and a teacher, to make it realistic. The story will be told by the characters dialogue and actions. 



For my print production I will be designing a television show advertising poster and a front and back DVD boxset cover. These specifications are used to advertise the television programme to make it money and bring it an audience.  Throughout all 3 pages I have to include a minimum of 7 original images, and to film in two various locations and again to include three different characters and actors. 

For my boxset front cover I plan to have a main image of the main character Jamie and the original antagonist Mitchell. For my boxset front cover I plan to have a main image of the main characters Jamie and Mitchell. Both Characters is what the television show is about, so when the audience see the boxset in the shops, they will understand that the tv show will be based around him and Mitchell. The title of television show will be called ‘the suspect who was the victim’ which will be placed in the top layer to allow the image to be at the centre to draw more attention to it. The title will inform the audience of the main plot of the show, they will then start to build ideas up in there head based on the tile and the main image. In addition the front cover will also include the age rating and the channel 4 logo, to display the broadcasting producers. 

My back cover of my DVD boxset will contain small snippets of my tv series, that don’t feature in my final opening sequence.  The scenes will leave the audience trying to imagine what is happening in the photo, which will make the audience want to purchase the boxset, to find out what is happening.  I have another main image of the Main Character however in different pose and facial expression to the main image on the Poster and front cover. I will also include a promotional Blurb to inform the audience the plot and storyline of the television series. This will be a promotional and persuasive piece of text to persuasive the audiences to buy the product.  A Billing Block will also be introduced to the back cover to reference the other people behind the scenes involved in the production. In addition I will have to reference the production company (Red Productions) and the broadcasters (Channel 4). It is also a legal requirement to include the appropriate age rating for the television series, which is 15. I plan to  the age rating in the middle bottom so the pictures and blurb can get the top layer and therefore the main focus. The Billing block will be above the age rating along with the production and broadcaster logo and technical information like running time per episode and overall, special features and subtitle information. 

 For my main advertising poster I plan to have a main image of the main character Jamie that will take up the majority of the poster, to make the character the main attraction.  The main image again will be different to the others that have been shown on the back and front cover of the DVD boxset. The image will display a narrative through the terrified and distressed facial expression and body language. In addition the Poster will include the main actors name, to attract interest from fans of the actor, also I want to add the production and broadcaster logos and the age rating. Also of course I will add the release date of television series, so people know when it is on and what channel. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey Jake this is a very good start and I feel you have covered nearly all points on the brief however, your word count needs to be reduced. The best way to reduce the work count is to go over the bullet points on the brief and make sure you have discussed every one however, shorten them i.e. The types of camera angles I have chosen to use will be a range between close ups and extreme close ups to depict the main characters emotions of frustration etc...be short, to the point yet descriptive in your statements. Please make sure you discuss your creative decisions in relation to lighting, colour and font choices between all forms of your media-what look are you trying to achieve and how will it fit in with your representation of your chosen social group/target audience. Hope this helps-Fay

    ReplyDelete